Stress-Free Ways to Save Money
Starting a budget and getting your spending on track can seem overwhelming! Here are some things that we came up with that will help make saving money and budgeting a little bit easier..
- Take on the Challenge: Don't look at your budget as this awful, "I wish I had more money to spend," kind of thing. Take it as a challenge! Finding deals and ways to save money can actually be exciting! I fell in love with couponing because it was very satisfying when I got something for pennies or even for free! Start slowly though, because if you try to go "extreme couponer" right away then you will get frustrated and give up. It is a learning curve, but if you're up for the challenge then go for it! You can get coupons here and some couponing tips here.
- Make Goals: In order for your budget to be successful, you have to have your roadmap laid out so you know where you are headed. Decide what you are saving for: a new car, down payment on a house, or vacation. It helps having these goals in mind when you are tempted to splurge because it will make you think, "Is buying this really worth waiting 3 months longer until I can buy my ___?"
- Stay Accountable: It's easy to stay on budget those first few months because you're into it and you're excited! Keeping track of all your spending can seem exhausting after a while, but there are ways to help! I use the Mint app. It is the *easiest* way to manage your spending. It categorizes your spending and alerts you when you are close to your spending limit or over budget! It's pretty great!
- Automate Your Savings: Most bank accounts have options to move money from your checking account to your savings account automatically. Once you set it up you don't have to think about it! It's a great way to steadily build your savings up.
- Put Away Your Savings First: Instead of saving what you have left over at the end of the month, put a set amount of money into savings at the beginning of the month. This makes you spend less throughout the month and it ensures that you stay on track with your savings.
Let me know if you have any other savings tips! We would love to hear about them!